[X-Newbies] Re: iMac - audio input

B.ru c-e € K1u-tch-k0 AppleRocket at NoSpamMail.net
Thu Apr 28 15:12:42 PDT 2005

On 4/28/05 5:32 PM, "Michele Forrester" <macuzr at insightbb.com> wrote:

> On 4/28/05 B.ru c-e *K1u-tch-k0 wrote:
>> On 4/28/05 3:10 PM, "Michele Forrester" <macuzr at insightbb.com> wrote:
>>

>>>  Ok, incoming stupid question...what IS a preamp?? I have a turntable
>>>  attached to a stereo system...is the stereo system like a preamp? In
>>>  otherwords, you wouldn't want to attach this to JUST a phonograph -
>>>  using it like speakers, you would want to connect it to the setup
>>>  with speakers, etc.? Or am I not understanding?
>>>
>>>  Thanks for clarifying...I appreciate it as I am going to be doing this
>>> soon!
>>>
>>>  Michele
>>
>> OK the preamp(lifier) is a device that produces a "line Level" output. This
>> is a higher output than a phonocartridge but lower than the power level for
>> speakers.
>>
>> If your stereo has connectors that say "audio out" or "headphone out" you
>> are in the right ballpark. Except that "audio out" may be a constant level,
>> while the headphone output may need to be adjusted with the volume control
>> to a low enough level. A preamp also adjusts the frequency response of the
>> system to compensate for known irregularities in the phono cartridge.
>
> I feel I am right back where I was several months ago figuring I
> couldn't do this. :o( The stereo is all one piece - a stack system
> with the record player on top. It has radio, tape and record player
> as well as an audio in for an extra item I believe. It DOES have
> headphone out and I believe audio in as I had it hooked to the TV for
> better sound for a while. I just checked and it doesn't even HAVE
> audio out. :o( The set my mom just sold would have and my older
> stereo system had it...I just believed this one did too. It does have
> the headphone but I have heard that isn't the best way/shouldn't be
> used.
>
> SHOOT!
>
> Michele

You *Can* use the headphone out jack, but you would have to keep the volume
down. This is a limitation of your audio system, not unusual in these days.
If you would to spend a few hundred dollars on a new turntable and preamp
B-r-u -c-e