[X-Newbies] Possible Worm Infection

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Aug 12 18:00:41 PDT 2005

Tony Johansen said:

>This morning I have 8 e-mail delivery failures for e-mails I did not send,
>each addressed to various names like Ted and Brent etc @ my own domain.

>They were returned with the 'reason' of being infected with worm Mytob.T-2
>
>So is it time to invest in Intego AV? Or is this not something to worry
>about? Appreciate advice.

This actually has nothing to do with your Macintosh.

Someone with a Windows computer, and your e-mail address in their address
book, has a virus, and the virus is propagating itself by sending out
"spoofed"  infected e-mail messages with return e-mail addresses gleaned
from the infected computer's address book. (That is, your e-mail address.)

There is nothing that you can really do about this.  Installing
anti-virus software on your Mac won't help, because it isn't your Mac
that is infected.

See:
http://www.plattsburgh.edu/help/virus/spoof.php

Randy B. Singer