[X-Newbies] Migration Assistant

Chris Walker chris at mymac.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 21 00:06:17 PST 2005

Hi all,

Santa came early so I've just got my shiny new G5 - dual core 2ghz with
1gb Ram.  I'm now looking at getting all my stuff from the old machine
to the new.

The old machine has one account 'Mars' running as admin.  The new one
will have two accounts Saturn' as admin and 'BigC' as user.  At present
BigC is enabled as admin but this will drop back to user when all the
installations are done.  My aim was to create a new 'clean' machine
which will last for my usual 4/5 years.

I'm already having problems with permissions so I wondered whether to go
the easy route and simply duplicate the old machine via the Migration
Assistant.  Only problem is that all the accumulated crud (apps that
were tried and not used, ancient prefs, whatever else that might be
lurking etc) on the old machines comes to the new.

Anyone any experience with migration assistant or could suggest any way
round the permissions problems?

All help gratefully received.  :-)

Chris