[X-Newbies] Re: smart folder

William Lane wilann at telusplanet.net
Fri Dec 30 17:45:08 PST 2005

On 30-Dec-05, at 6:35 PM, david_elmo wrote:

> On Tiger. I go to Mail, Mail Help and type "smart folder" to find
> out what this concept is. There are references on how to create
> one, how to all sorts of things but no explanation of what it is.
> How can help file makers overlook the simplest of questions?

Perhaps they assume (incorrectly) that everyone knows what the whole
'smart' system is about in Tiger.  Sort of like 'do we have to tell
you what a window is?'.  Having said that, smart folders are simply
alias repositories. That is, the 'real' email message is somewhere
else entirely, in the InBox, sorted to a mailbox of your choice or
whatever, but, the Smart Folder/Mailbox has it's criteria set to say
'show me all mail that meets these criteria', and it does.  I have
only one Smart Mailbox, the rule for it is 'show any message that is
unread'.  VERY handy!  I have TONS of mailboxes that my mail is
sorted into. Rather than having to go to each individual one to read
my mail, I simply click on the Smart Mailbox that I have named
'Unread'.  Presto! There's all my unread mail.  Once I've read it and
selected another mailbox when I go back to Unread, only those that I
have not read are displayed.