[X-Newbies] color laser

Paul Baily mglists at paulbaily.com
Fri Feb 4 23:45:50 PST 2005

> At 12:16 PM -0500 2/4/05, John Park wrote:
>> Does anyone reccomend a good color laser, mac compatible of course?

To which on 05/02/2005, at 7:01 AM, Vincent Cayenne replied:

> I've seen the Brother HL-2700CN recommended. I have no direct
> experience with it though I do use a Brother HL-4000CN. For that
> model, I had to manually install the PPDs in OS X but it's worked
> quite well.

I've installed an HL-2700CN at the office several months ago and am
close to installing another one. I agree, it's a great printer, rock
solid, fast performer too. Plays nicely with anything from Win95
upwards (including Terminal Server sessions) and of course Mac OS X. In
fact we have three Brothers of different models (HL-1440's being the
other two) and I've always been pleasantly surprised at how good both
the hardware and software is.

I'd also second Randy's caveat about it not doing photorealistic output
as well as an inkjet, but for those 99% of prints that don't require
such high accuracy it's just right. I'd also add that Brother warn that
you cannot use photo (shiny) paper in it. Unless anyone has
laser-friendly alternatives they can recommend?

HTH, and cheers,

Paul.