[X-Newbies] OS 10.3.7 on CD?

Chris Walker chris at mymac.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 1 10:36:00 PST 2005

On 1/1/05 Keith MILLS wrote:

>I have 10.3.3. Is it worth me doing the 10.3.7  combined update? Will I
>notice a difference? What will it give me that I don't have now? Are
>there any drawbacks in doing it?
Worth it? Up to you :-)

I doubt you will notice any major difference although sometimes users
report a slight speeding up of the finder.  You won't get any 'extras'.
The main things in the updaters are bug fixes as well as some of the
previous security fixes.  The full list is on Apples Website.  When an
update comes out it is a good idea to wait a few days and then check the
boards to see if there are any major issues reported.

Drawbacks?   There will almost always be some users who find problems,
but it will be  obvious if there are serious issues that may be generally
applicable.   AFAIK the only ones with 10.3.7 relate to some external
firewire drives and some users have reported problems with battery life
on the PBooks.

The general updates are not vital if your system is running OK, but you
should IMHO  'always' do the security updates.

For myself I always repair permissions and do the maintenance routines
before doing the update with the Combo updater and repair permissions
after.  Does it make a difference?  Well, touch wood, I've not had any
problems so far :-)

cheers,

Chris