[X-Newbies] Game Opens to EULA, Fails in User Acc'ts

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Sat Jan 1 17:10:45 PST 2005

Miles, you gave me more things to think about.

On Jan 1, 2005, at 2:10 PM, Miles Cannon wrote:

> On 12/31/04 11:13 PM, "Birgit Rhoads" <wdlnd at adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>> Are you leaving the game CD installed?  Many games now require that
>> the
>> CD is inserted while playing the game.  Also, there should be an 800
>> number in the game manual or read me to call for problems.  Let us
>> know
>> how you make out, I wanted to purchase the same game for my GD.  Did
>> you un-install the game and trash it's preferences before
>> re-installing?
>>
>  did you install the game in your /Users/Al/applications, or simply in
> /Applications? If it is in your directory, then the other accounts
> won't be
> able to access the program.
>  If it is installed as Administrator, then the other accounts, I
> assume, are
> not admin accounts and don't have the access privs to be able to run
> the
> program.

It is installed as Administrator, so the other users should see it.
The basic game goes in by dragging the entire folder icon from the CD
to the hard drive.  There is no "installer" and there is no EULA
statement until launching the application on the hard drive.  It copied
to the top level of the hard drive.  Then, initially, I slid it into
Applications.  After reading this and the other responses, I trashed
the Zoo and re-installed it.  Leaving it at the top of the hard drive,
I then attempted to run it from the user accounts, and got the same
error message as before.

> However, it can also be the case that only one user may license the
> program,

Ouch!  There is nothing like that in the license statement.
> rogue amoeba, for instance, has a program Audio Hijack which will
> not run for the other users on the machine because the license is for a
> single user.
>  Don't really know what to offer in this, other than make sure that
> the CD
> is in the tray when starting, as Birgit wrote, and perhaps install it
> for
> the user in question with their applications directory?

I just installed Zoo again, this time in one of the user accounts.  It
WORKS!  But I still get the license statement each time.  Will have to
let the kids live with that.

Thing is that I had the grandkids' account set up in Simple Finder.
That will not do now, because Simple Finder does not support installs.
So I'll have to reset the kids' account as "Managed" with some
limitations.

Thanks, everyone,

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.