[X-Newbies] Re: OS 10.3.7 on CD?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Jan 6 20:11:52 PST 2005

> From: Vincent Cayenne <vcayenne at mac.com>
> It's good but is not *necessary*.

We have differing definitions of necessary, apparently. I mean
"necessary if you want to avoid trouble." You apparently mean
"necessary in that your machine will explode if you don't," and call
that wrong. By that definition, I agree. I don't mean the latter, I
mean the former.

> But I'm interested - have you seen actual repaired
> permissions on a 10.3.7 update when you'd repaired permissions
> immediately before the update? If so, which files/directories were
> indicated?

Yes, but it's usually very minor stuff if you repaired permissions
*before* the install as well. A recent example resulted in only one
permission altered: the iso9660 kernel extension (which says "we are
using special permissions here").

A few days ago, a consultant I was with didn't bother with the initial
repair permissions before upgrading the half-dozen machines he was
working on to 10.3.7 (from 10.3.2 I believe), but DID do it afterward
at my insistence. The result was PAGES AND PAGES of fixed permissions
from all over the drive.

_Chas_

FL-MUG: central Florida's Macintosh User Group.
Meetings: second Thursday of the month, 6-9pm,
at the Orlando Science Center.
http://www.flmug.org