[X-Newbies] Changing Names of Applications

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Thu Jan 6 20:31:40 PST 2005

>>>I understand that renaming things in OS X can sometimes bring disaster.  I am using Panther 10.3.7.
>>>
>>>I have installed two Harry Potter games with very similar names.  The distinguishing parts like "...and the Sorcerer's Stone" and "...and the Chamber of Secrets" are missing.  Both games are in the Applications folder.
>>>
>>>Can I add the words "Stone" and "Secrets" to the names without buying into problems down the line?

It is all about how the developer wrote an installer. Usually renaming is not an issue until you choose to do an upgrade. And then the upgrade installer may fail if it doesn't find what it wants where it wants it. But done properly, there should be no problem regardless of what you've named it and where you've put it. A good installer will just ask for help in finding a file.
--

Robert Ameeti

As I said before, I never repeat myself.