[X-Newbies] Re: OS 10.3.7 on CD?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Fri Jan 7 23:46:34 PST 2005

> From: Mark Des Cotes <mark at astroprinting.com>
> While we're on the topic of repairing permissions, what's the
> difference between repairing permissions and running fsck -fy? and when
> should fsck -fy be used?

That last "y" is not necessary. The terminology is just
fsck -f
for journaled (Panther) volumes.

fsck does not do the same thing as repairing permissions. fsck stands
for FileSystem CHeck. fsck looks at the boot sector, the volume map,
the directory and the GUI wrapper and determines if anything is out of
place.

"Repair Permissions" takes a look at each files "properties" and
"ownership" flags and determines if they are correctly set.

_Chas_

FL-MUG: central Florida's Macintosh User Group.
Meetings: second Thursday of the month, 6-9pm,
at the Orlando Science Center.
http://www.flmug.org