[X-Newbies] Dealing with Spam

silvo conticello silvoc at tiscali.it
Tue Jul 5 07:52:33 PDT 2005

On 5 Jul 2005, at 15:12, Michael Winter wrote:

> But in apps like Mail, its not always clear how to delete a message
> without opening it -you click on it, it opens in the viewer pane.
> IIRC, for Mail, double click on the divider between the top "list"
> pane and the bottom "view" pane. That will make the window one big
> list pane. You can then select messages and delete without them
> opening. Double click the divider (now at the bottom of the window)
> again to return it to its previous position.
>
> I should say I'm a little skeptical about this method. It was
> described by one of the Mail developers who used to frequent the list
> (Cricket, IIRC). I was always a little suspicious because in my mind
> the message could technically still be opened, just not displayed
> (displayed in a window with zero height).

This is why my default view is without the "view" pane. If I want to
see an email I have to double click voluntarily  on it. And, if the
view pane is properly closed, the emails don't get opened (you can see
that the blue label is still there).
The other reason why I prefer the view pane closed is that this way
*all* the messages I have not read appear as not read, they don't show
up as open just because they were somehow selected (being the first or
just by mistake).

Silvo
Silvo Conticello
Albook 17" 1.5GHz/1.5Gb RAM/80Gb HD/OS10.3.9
iMac 1GHz/500Mb Ram/80Gb HD/OS10.4.1/17" display
Cambridge UK