[X-Newbies] Restricting Access to Data on External HD

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jul 8 05:36:08 PDT 2005

Have just installed a 2nd external Hard Drive. To my consternation have
discovered that both drives and their entire contents are visible to other
users. Apparently that has always been the case with the 1st external HD.
Just like a drop box. And all those security passwords I've been using
totally useless as my files are bare to other user accounts anyway. And the
point of backup is to have a second copy of everything...

So what to do? Turning the drives off is fine, but doesn't stop others
turning them on again. Couldn't locate ways in Apple Help to isolate the
drives to being recognised by only my user account. Did I miss something? Or
can partitions in external drives be password protected? (a pain but might
be necessary) I am the administrator, can I restrict other accounts access
to hard drives? Remove read and write permissions?

Any advice or pointing to help topics very much appreciated. Surely I am not
the only person wanting to restrict access to an external drive. But the
LaCie manual doesn't mention the subject.

2 x LaCie 160 GB Porsche Firewire 400. To be used for clones of internal
hard drive, general back ups, and storage.

 eMac  1 GHz 1GB SD RAM 60GB HD

Tony.