[X-Newbies] Restricting Access to Data on External HD

John Kiss john.kiss at comcast.net
Fri Jul 8 16:48:40 PDT 2005

Search Mac help for "setting permissions" and that should get you a
good explanation of what owner, group, and others means.

I also have an external hard drive connected to my computer. Some
time ago I set permissions so that other users (wife, grandkids) on
my computer have no access to the external drive. When they log on,
the external drive does not show up for them. When I switch to my
account, the drive is there.

Here are my settings for the drive:
Owner: john
Access: Read & Write

Group: john
Access: Read & Write

Others: No Access

Ignore ownership on this volume is not checked.

It's been some time since I did this and can't recall all the details
but I think I was logged in as an administrator/root user when I
changed the permissions. I had just gotten the drive and didn't have
to worry about hosing any data on the new drive while I was playing
around with changing permissions.

John