[X-Newbies] Windows Emulators in OS X

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Thu Jul 28 15:05:44 PDT 2005

Tony Johansen said:

>I hear and read such conflicting reports on the value of Virtual PC for Mac,
>that I thought I'd ask here where I most respect the quality of answers. I
>presume it works like Classic, if it does, does it have some of the
>associated problems with printers and so on. Is it worth it (It seems to be
>very expensive)??

VirtualPC runs in a very similar manner as Classic does in OS X.  It
works very well.  The only programs that won't run are those that expect
specific hardware to be present.  (e.g. some animated games require a
particular brand and model of graphic accelerator card.)

The faster Mac that you have to run VPC the better.  On slower Macs it is
noticably pokey.

VPC is great if you have to run a Windows program occasionally.  If you
have to run Windows software all the time, using it will become
frustrating, and a better option might be to get a cheap PC.

Generally, compatibility with Mac printers from VPC is really good.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html