[X-Newbies] Re: OS 10.1.5 to Tiger(?)

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Jul 28 23:11:24 PDT 2005

> From: Daniel Carter <abz at inch.com>
>
> I've kept Tiger in its box for weeks and weeks now.
> how best to get from OS 10.1.5 to Tiger?

Good question!

Here's the "best" method I know of.

1. Make a complete bootable clone of your present hard drive onto an
external Firewire hard drive. SuperDuper ($20) can do this, or you
can use Carbon Copy Cloner (donationware). CCC doesn't work with
Tiger, but it works with 10.1.x just fine.

2. When that task is complete, boot from the clone to make certain it
boots.

3. Repair permissions on your original HD.

4. Insert Tiger DVD and follow instructions. There comes a point
where you have an option on what sort of upgrade you'd like to do. If
you have a bootable clone, you can choose any of them without risk,
but my suggestion would be to do a "clean install" (completely new
system) or even an "Erase and Install" which will completely erase
the hard drive.

5. When that's done, you'll reboot the machine and it will
(eventually) ask you if you have a previous Mac you'd like to get
your data from. Say yes, connect the clone hard drive via Firewire,
and the program will take over from there. Select the things you want
copied and let it go (this step will probably take about an hour).

6. When it's done, the machine should be rebooted again. Go into Disk
Utility (in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder) and run
"Repair Permissions" again just to be on the safe side, then start
testing to see if anything "broke." A few things are likely to, just
because you haven't updated in so long. Find updates for those items,
but in general everything should work well.

Tiger is a BIG step up from 10.1.x -- I'd suggest a visit to Apple's
web site for a "tour," as well as a good book on the subject (David
Pogue's "Missing Manual" comes highly recommended).

_Chas_

Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most
people use Windows is like saying that all other restaurants are
inferior to McDonald's.