[X-Newbies] Virtual PC

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Sat Jul 30 20:39:47 PDT 2005

On Jul 30, 2005, at 9:49 PM, Tony Johansen wrote:

> Given that Virtual PC works fine on OS X (Classic-like operating
> mode) and
> given that it is then prone to all the extant Windows viruses, does
> any one
> have any experience of the effectiveness of Intego Virus Barrier in
> covering
> the VPC as well as X or whether another AV option is preferable?

If you're just running programs and not reading mail in Windows, then
the virus issue isn't as drastic as it is for the regular Windows user.

> Second question: Does one then expect to download and install various
> Windows patches and upgrades as they occur, as if it was a Windows
> only
> computer? Or even upgrade Windows OS?

You have to do everything to it that you have to do with regular
Windows, because it IS windows.

> Is the VPC 'stable', does it need rebooting etc at any different
> rate to X?

It has the same kind of crash characteristics as Windows. Perhaps
slightly less crashy than a real PC, because the low level emulation
is more consistent than a real PC.

I was very satisfied with the functioning of VPC, but I ditched it
after 5 because the upgrades were coming too fast, and at too much
cost. Its slowed down now, but I could have easily bought a PC for
what I paid for Version 3, 4, and 5. PCs are so cheap now, that I
wouldn't recommend going with VPC unless you just don't have the desk
space for a real one. Even laptops are down in the $600 range, which
is pretty amazing, and a good way to get PC capabilities on the side
without killing a ton of space.

SR