[X-Newbies] Corrupted User Prefs

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 13 23:27:43 PDT 2005

Regarding:
<http://securityawareness.blogspot.com/2005/05/comments-from-mac-
expert.html>

' For instance, a problem that was previously not uncommon when using OS X
was having an application refuse to launch, or unexpectedly quitting, due to
a corrupted user preferences file. This problem is all but eliminated in
Tiger.'

I'm still in Panther land (10.3.9) and appear to perhaps have this problem
(detailed below) Question is how does one fix a corrupted user preference
file? And if there is more than one, how does one sort out the corrupted
from the OK?

Problem: Recently purchased ToonBoomExpress software. Whenever I try to
launch it the licensing window appears, when the cursor hovers over the
window, the spinning ball appears, and the program crashes within seconds.

Have tried fresh downloads, dragging install icon to desk top first,
increasing hard drive free space (varies at about 8 - 10 GB) With same
result each time. It is the only program I have that behaves this way. The
supplier doesn't know what is going on.

So trying lateral approaches. Uninstalling Norton for a start, will do later
tonight. I am getting a new external HD to move more stuff off the machine.
Then there's the possibility of corrupted user prefs referred to above.

Have I missed something?

Thank you,
Tony.