[X-Newbies] Anti-Virus

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Jun 15 07:54:43 PDT 2005

On Jun 14, 2005, at 9:17 PM, Vincent Cayenne wrote:

> I'd go so far as to say that I've seen far more harmful effect from
> Symantec product than would have been occasioned by the non-
> existent threats from which they purport to defend.

Exactly. See <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/10/
symantec_uberbug/> and <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/10/
symantec_mac_false_alarm/> . IMO in the last 5 years, AV software on
the Mac has done more damage, and cost more in lost time and money,
than viruses.

I'd say one needs to weigh the potential threat of a virus against
the potential problems caused by the AV software -from bugs
potentially causing loss of information, to performance degradation.

-Mike