[X-Newbies] Corrupted User Prefs

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Jun 15 08:01:19 PDT 2005

On Jun 15, 2005, at 6:48 AM, Alex wrote:

>  Do not use a "scattergun" approach, trying any solution almost at
> random. In this instance, the suggestion to repair permissions was
> made prior to your determination that the problem was in the user
> space. It doesn't hurt, but it doesn't help either, because DU,
> quite appropriately, does not touch permissions in your user space.

I didn't know DU didn't check permissions in the user space -though
it makes sense. But that does bring me back to wondering if you're
suffering from an inability to write the preference file due to a
permissions problem in ~/Library/Preferences (or maybe even ~/Library/
Application Support). The reason I say that is the behavior
demonstrated by the program is very like the problems I used to have
when my kids would run Classic apps. When I ran them, they were fine
because I had the appropriate write privileges. Some would crash on
my kids because they didn't have write privileges.

I'd double check that you do indeed have write privileges to all the
appropriate places within your user space.

-Mike