[X-Newbies] IP addresses

Chris Walker chris at mymac.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 15 10:54:43 PDT 2005

On 15/6/05 Raoul Armfield wrote:

>It really depends on what x.x is equal to.  For instance if x.x is equal
>  to 10.0. then yes both 0.5 and 1.11 are on the same subnet.
Well that solves one thing.  I always thought that say 192.168.1.10 and
192.168.0.10 would be on different subnets, the 0 and 1 (third number)
being the determinants.

Lets take this a stage further.  At the moment I can use a VPN  to log in
to the Uni servers.  Suppose I want to do a remote login to my own
machine using IPSecuritas or VPNTracker (the Uni's preferred method).  We
will suppose my machine is at LAN 10.0.0.2.  In order to get a connection
this would mean the remote machine would need to be on a completely
different subnet say 192.168.x.x (or 172.16.x.x) rather than 10.0.1.2/3
whatever.  I'm ignoring public IPs which will obviously be different -
we'll assume they are both fixed for arguments sake.

Is this correct?

cheers,

Chris