[X-Newbies] Corrupted User Prefs

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jun 17 03:21:18 PDT 2005

On 15/6/2005 11:52 AM, "Randy B. Singer" <randy at macattorney.com> wrote:

> You may want to contact the program's developers at this point and ask if
> the program is known to conflict with any third party software that you
> might have installed.

Reply from ToonBoomStudio tech support:

There are no known conflicts with third party softwares that we are
aware of.

I would still check the permissions on the path below:
Users/user_name/Library/Preferences
(i.e. Users, Users/user_name, Users/user_name/Library...)

Specifically I would check into why your original account was not able
to create the Toon Boom Studio Global Library or write files to your
user space. It becomes less urgent as you now have a working account
but if you intend to get your main account working, it's a place to start.

Pasted post from Alex:

The obvious is to compare your user account with the troubleshooting
account. What's different -- what does the account which doesn't work
have that the account which works doesn't?

To begin with, check your Startup Items. Is there anything other than
iTunes Helper and iCalAlarmScheduler? Use Activity Monitor to check
your processes. In addition to the visible ones and the ones I just
mentioned, there should be SystemUIServer, loginwindow, pbs, ATSServer,
WindowServer. Are there any others?

A corrupt or out-of-spec font may cause problems. Check your Fonts
folder, as well as the Classic Fonts folder. If you disable those fonts
(e.g., by moving them to a different folder), does the problem still
occur?

(1)
Start up items listed in my main account:
ABF Hotkey
iCal Alarm Scheduler
Window Clock
wClock
Launch!
SpeechSynthesisServer
Stickies
Caplio Startup
iTunes Helper
Shadow Clipboard
Quicksilver
Quicksilver                        Yes, Quicksilver is there twice.
Microsoft Database Daemon

(2)
I am not listing items belonging to root, just items belonging to tony
johansen in Activity Monitor:
Init
bpalogin
login window
-pbs
Window Server
apple spell
Text Edit
Font Book
Word
Database Daemon
Entourage
ShadowClipboard
Itunes
Universal access app
Caplio Starter
Speech Synthesis Server
Launch!
wClock
 Window Clock
iCal Alarm Scheduler
A better finder hotkey
Image capture extension
TWAIN bridge
Finder
SystemUIServer
Dock
Tablet Driver
FAXstfFrontEnd

(3)
There are 2 folders for fonts in tonyjohansen/Library  one called fonts the
other called fonts collection. In both cases I dragged all the contents to a
temporary folder on the desktop and then tried to launch ToonBoomStudio
Express. In each case the program crashed as before.
*******************************
Pasted post from Michael Winter:

I'd double check that you do indeed have write privileges to all the
appropriate places within your user space.

I checked every item in tonyjohansen/Library/preferences and they all have
read+write.
********************************
Or for the CLI averse (or if you don't understand those R's, W's and
X's) just select your Library or Preferences folder, select File->Get
Info, and under Ownership & Permissions it should say : You can Read
and Write.

If you hold down the option-button and hit command-I, you can then
click around on the different folders and have the info window change
to show you the data on the different folders you click on.

As above, checked read and write permissions.
************************************

The differences between the 2 accounts:
 Less items in the dock,
 no start up items listed in System priviledges/accounts for second account,
No other differences are noticeable to me.

To the suggestion that there might be a conflict with a 3rd party software,
would that not occur in the second account too as all applications are
available at both locations, isn't it just the files made by the
applications that are isolated from account to account?

Also, I've wondered if it makes a difference the AMOUNT of applications in
the dock?
Also noticed in activity monitor that I have 82.8% Disc usage in the
partition that has both accounts, could that cause instability that could
interfere with writing of files to the user space?

Whatever the problem it may be affecting other new things. Tonight I tried
to install Corel KnockOut2. Several times in a row, each time I clicked the
install icon the CD ejected. I tried it in the new account but same thing,
clicking install caused the CD to eject. I restarted, repaired permissions
and it then installed successfully in the main account. This is getting
depressing. I have no idea what to do next.

Tony