[X-Newbies] Speech Synthesis Server

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 20 18:27:49 PDT 2005

Speech Synthesis Server

The problem has been ToonBoomStudio crashing at launch due to conflict with
Speech Synthesis Server in Startup items, proven by no crash with SSS
disabled from Activity Monitor, TBS crashing when SSS enabled.

What is this beast? What does it do? I presume it is to do with the text to
speech function, but does it have other uses that I need to know about? Does
it have to be a Startup Item?  Am I able to do without it? If so how do I
exterminate it, or disable it?

OR, better still, Can I repair it/ make it behave etc.

A Google search came up with little that is helpful. I am reluctant to
change anything I am unfamiliar with, and frankly I don't know enough here
to just experiment.

Have been working through the problem with help from various people but
especially Randy and Alex. Thanks, guys, you are champions, and I still
can't figure how Alex's crystal ball works so well. You are amazing.

eMac 1GHz, 1 GB SDRAM, OS 10.3.9
Extra Info probably irrelevant but I'm trying to be complete.
A quirk of this machine is that I have never been able to get the speech
recognition feature to work. You know, the round floating thing that
supposedly can tell jokes, move chess pieces etc. It's never been important
enough to spend time on fixing, but am now wondering if it's another symptom
of a problem with Speech Synthesis Server?