[X-Newbies] Airport Networks

Chris Walker chris at mymac.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 11:17:55 PST 2005

Hi all,

I am having problems connecting to my University's wireless network.
This is a standard 11g network using non-Apple base stations.

Under 'Network', when changing the location, does the 'Airport' tab
assume the same WEP key for all locations even if diffrent SSIDs are
specified?   EG if I have two locations Home and Work configured
similarly - use DHCP etc - except for different SSIDs and WEP keys, would
the software automatically try to login with the appropriate key for the
selected location?

The problem seems to locate around the fact that PC software allows for
several WEP keys to be stored.  The ioxperts 802.11b drivers for PCM
cards on Macs does the same, but Apple's airport software seems to assume
only the one, unless the 'location' facility gets round this.

The University's tech support people are currently baffled - possibly
because they are more used to PCs.

cheers,

Chris