[X-Newbies] Pre newbie curiosity.

Michele Forrester macuzr at insightbb.com
Mon Mar 14 04:21:57 PST 2005

On 3/14/05 Brian Durant wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am new to the list and to OS X. I haven't even got a Mac that runs
>OS  X yet. I am waiting for my 1.8 Ghz. single G5 to be delivered, but
>couldn't wait to hear about OS X. I have used OS 7, 8 and 9 but left
>to Win 2K and Linux during the clone wars, when I (among others) was
>left without an upgrade path (UMAX S900 Euro). I would like to hear
>some views on OS X and the Darwin/BSD undercarriage. Is OS X as
>unstable as some people make it out to be? Programs can't be killed
>cleanly, etc? I saw a demo G5 at a shop here in Jakarta where the tech
>guy in trying to find the terminal app crashed 4 programs running and
>couldn't kill them seperately, but had to reeboot 2 times!!! Not
>exactly an advertisement for OS X, but on the other hand I have seen a
>lot of weird stuff in XP (2K is usually more stable) as well. Any
>comments/advice to satisfy my pre newbie curiosity are greatly
>appreciated.

I am a newer user of OS X - 2 weeks or so - and I love it! I think I
have booted into OS 9 once...otherwise I stay in OS X all the time. I
leave mail, browser and a text application up all the time and go
back and forth - Netscape has quit twice and everything else was
fine. I think I have restarted only because I have added/removed
stuff that I thought I might like and had to restart to get it to
work or to be able to remove it but on my new G5 17" iMac it has been
great!

Michele