[X-Newbies] Pre newbie curiosity.

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 14 12:01:30 PST 2005

On Mar 14, 2005, at 12:34 PM, Randy B.Singer wrote:

> Brian Durant said:
>
>> I would like to hear
>> some views on OS X and the Darwin/BSD undercarriage. Is OS X as
>> unstable as some people make it out to be?
>
> Normally it is as stable as a rock.  I haven't had a system crash in
> the
> last 4 years.  I've only had a handful of application crashes, which I
> dealt with by simply re-launching the application and continuing on
> with
> my work.

Absolutely - I go for weeks at a time without rebooting on a machine
that I'm work at every day doing everything from movie capture and DVD
burning to page layout using InDesign to mail and web surfing.

>> I saw a demo G5 at a shop here in Jakarta where the tech
>> guy in trying to find the terminal app crashed 4 programs running and
>> couldn't kill them seperately, but had to reeboot 2 times!!!
>
> If you don't know what you are doing, I strongly advice staying
> entirely
> away from the Terminal.  In fact, I've found that there is just about
> nothing that you can't do from the graphic user interface.

Its quite possible for a specific machine to become hosed through abuse
or neglect. I can't imagine why it would be difficult to "find" the
terminal program, or how you could crash programs looking for it - so
that tells me that either this guy has no idea what he's doing, or that
particular machine is messed up (not unusual for sales demo machines
that are accessible to anyone who walks by).

SR