[X-Newbies] Utulities and such in OS X.

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Mar 19 12:25:10 PST 2005

Brian Durant said:

>I am curious as to which utilities, etc. people are using in OS X.
>Norton SystemWorks, Drive 10,  TechTools Pro, Norton AntiVirus, Virex,
>Virus Barrier, und alles. Coming from OS 9, I don't really know if any
>of these are necessary anymore or not, particularly on a brand
>spanking new G5. What is hype and what is fact?

Basically you are asking about two different things: maintenance/disk
utilites and anti-viral utilities.

As far as maintenance/disk utilites, I've made a bunch of recommendations
on my Web site at:

OS X Routine Maintenance and Generic Troubleshooting
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Of the commercial utilities, I think that Disk Warrior is by far the
best, but you can probably do without it completely if you are using OS
X.  I have it, but unlike when I used OS 8/9, I've never felt that I
couldn't do without it.

As far as anti-viral programs go, there is some debate whether you need
one at all under OS X.  For now at least, there are *no* viruses (as in
"zero") that infect OS X.  (At least not any verifiable ones in the
wild.) Check out:
Mac Viruses By The Numbers
http://www.macobserver.com/editorial/2003/08/29.1.shtml

Office macro viruses can run on the Mac, even under OS X, but they can
easily be contained by enabling "Macro Virus Protection" in Preferences
in each Office application.  That will effectively keep them from
running.  (Even if they do run, many Office macro viruses expect to find
Windows software to do damage to, not Mac software.)

However, there are a handful of (mostly non-malicious) viruses that can
infect OS 9/Classic, even though they are now very rare.

So anti-viral software is still minimally useful to have, even if you are
running OS X, if you have OS 9/Classic installed.

Of the anti-viral programs that are available, my personal opinion is
that Intego's Virus Barrier is by far the best.  It runs entirely
invisibly and it extracts no performance penalty.
http://www.intego.com/virusbarrier/

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html