[X-Newbies] Re: Office Suite Conundrum

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Thu Mar 24 08:52:22 PST 2005

At 2:33 AM +1100 3/25/05, Tony Johansen wrote:
>I hear many good things about the new iWork and am looking forward
>to trying it out. From all reports it will more than satisfy
>Microsoft Office users

iWork consists of two applications: Pages and Keynote. Pages is a
PageMaker-lite type of page layout and word processing app while
Keynote is a presentation app. The combination, in my opinion, is
useful and applicable to the needs of many users for whom an office
suite is overkill. But (again in my opinion) it is no substitute
whatsoever for an office suite. For an MS Office user in a department
or otherwise sharing WP files, an individual working with any degree
of collaboration on documents, anyone with spreadsheet needs, or
users having need for more word processing/admin-assistant
capabilities than layout, the iWork product is inadequate. More to
the point, anyone finding the Office-compatibles (neo, OOo et al) to
be insufficient in comparison to MS Office should simply look
elsewhere.

iWork is an very good product but doesn't seem to target users who
would be well-served by MS Office. Instead it appears to be aimed at
the very large base of users for whom MS Office is overkill or
inappropriate.
--
'tis as said. [Reality is defined by being described]