[X-Newbies] Office Suite Conundrum

Brian Durant globetrotterdk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 21:20:36 PST 2005

Firstly, I would like to say that I really appreciate the way people
on this list react quickly when a posting is sent. I have been on a
number of Linux lists and have rarely seen such quick or detailed and
thought out advice.

Secondly, I would like to ask if anyone has tried and could advise me
as to the feasibility of installing Classic apps on a brand new G5. I
ask, because I have an upgrade version of MS Office 2001. This would
mean that if I was to install it, I first would need to install Office
98 and then afterwards the Office 2001 upgrade. This upgrade process
could be the source of a number of Classic muck ups the way MS sprays
extensions left and right. Otherwise, I need to spring for MS Office
2004 at £310.97 a pop from Amazon.co.uk There may be other retailers
that are cheaper, but I need an EU stationed retailer to ship to
Denmark and then the parcel gets sent on to Jakarta (long story).

Thirdly, I haven't heard from anyone contradicting me that ports to OS
X of OpenOffice.org, Neo Office, Abi Word, etc. aren't ready for prime
time yet. Has anyone on the list tried these apps in OS X or
alternatively gone to the trouble of installing a Linux distro like
Ubuntu that can run on a G5 and used OpenOffice.org, et al from there?

Cheers,

Brian