[X-Newbies] G4 to G5

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Thu May 12 10:24:51 PDT 2005

On May 12, 2005, at 11:44 AM, verduron wrote:

> When the new G5 arrives it will be roaring with Tiger. I would like to
> transfer my basic preferences from the G4 to the G5.
> Any problem with that? My mail database?

This is an article about moving up to Tiger - its focused on upgrading,
but the same idea would apply to copying over your whole user
environment to the new machine. He recommends reinstalling everything,
and copying over individual assets rather than the whole user/Library
folder on the logic that the structure has changed and you'll get the
best performance by starting clean. I haven't looked into it, but it
makes sense.

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/04/29/tiger.html

I considered it, but chickened out in the face of that much work. I'm
just going to upgrade my current G4 as it is, and when I eventually
upgrade to a G5, I'll reinstall everything and start clean.

SR