[X-Newbies] How to address computer slowness

Ross Langmead rlangmead at whitley.unimelb.edu.au
Tue May 17 15:50:01 PDT 2005

I'd appreciate advice on how to investigate and address a recent slowing
down of my PowerBook G4 (15" 1.5GHz), which runs on OS 10.3.9.  For a month
or so, most functions have become slow, e.g., five to ten seconds opening a
Word document.

The only changes I can remember are the installation in March of Tech Tool
Pro 4 (as a prevention for data loss), and updating Finale 2004 (music
notation software) to 2005.  Surely TTP doesn't regularly slow things down
this much.

My other programs have been there since the PowerBook was new in July 2004 -
Office X, Endnote, Safari, Virex, Acrobat Reader.

I have one partition of 80GB, with 50GB still free.

Are there any other possible causes I can check?

Thanks,

Ross Langmead

Ross Langmead
Whitley College
271 Royal Pde, Parkville Vic 3052, Australia
Tel +61-3 9340 8021,  Fax +61-3 9349 4241
rlangmead at whitley.unimelb.edu.au
www.whitley.unimelb.edu.au