[X-Newbies] Top posing in mail?

Jamie Kahn Genet jamiekg at wizardling.geek.nz
Thu May 19 07:43:23 PDT 2005

Tony Johansen <tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> What started as an amusing and tongue in cheek thread this morning has
> become a forum for the fatuous it would appear, such as those who very
> rudely call others inconsiderate.
>
> There are valid arguments both ways. For me the mail opens at the top, and
> there I like to see the message I am receiving, and I see previous posts in
> the form of footnotes to refer to if necessary.
>
> But really, this is a storm in a tea cup. It matters little whether top or
> bottom is used just so long as it is consistent. So long as most of my mail
> is top posted I'm happy to stick with that.
>
> If Mr Genet's passions went into advocating universal standards we would all
> be better off and have more time to see the humour in simple things.
>
> Tony Johansen,
> President, Transmanian Vampire and Bottom Poster Spotting Society.

This email is a perfect example of why top posting is annoying,
inefficient and impolite. If you cannot work out why, read my sig at the
end. Anyway, thanks - you've saved me the bother of pointing out for the
umpteenth time why top posting is bad. The email speaks for itself.

Regards,
 Jamie Kahn Genet

P.S. Boy do I feel sorry for anyone joining the conversation at this
point. Quoted text and replies top, bottom and all over.

P.P.S. Normally I would snip large portions of quoted text below, but
I'm leaving it this time to display how difficult it is to follow when
it's not in chronological order. Sorry.