[X-Newbies] Top posing in mail?

Peter Saint James peterstj at earthlink.net
Thu May 19 11:41:56 PDT 2005

     There is a good reason to have the cursor come to the top of the
message, even for bottom posters.

     Not all messages--at least for some people--go to discussion
lists.  When I need to reply to a private message, I need to start at
the top.  I need to say,

Dear XXX,

Thank you for your message.

     If I had to move the cursor each time to write this greeting,
that would annoy me to no end.  There might even be more greeting or
information there.  In other cultures one would ask about the health
of family members and express other formalities before getting to the
discussion of the previous message.

     Seems to me a logical, necessary, and polite place to place the
cursor.

      As to whether to top post or bottom post to list messages, I
alternate.  It helps to keep people on their toes.

                                                     Peter