[X-Newbies] Top posing in mail?

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Fri May 20 06:27:47 PDT 2005

At 12:41 AM +1200, 5/20/05, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

>  B.ru c-e *K1u-tch-k0  <AppleRocket at NoSpamMail.net> wrote:
>[snip]
>>  Outlook dominates the business world and is a defacto standard for
>>  such writings. Most business people expect top posting and are
>>  confused by bottom posting. Outlook does not take into account the
>>  needs of other users - for example, people who subscribe to mailing
>>  lists. It is possible to bottom post in Outlook, but the vast
>>  majority of its users don't know how.
>
>They're unable to move their mouse and click at the bottom of the
>quoting - thus moving the insertion point? This takes two seconds or
>less. I hit the End key, or zip downwards with my scroll wheel if it's a
>short document, then click once with my mouse where I wish to begin
>typing. 1 - 2 seconds, tops. That's not hard, surely?

'Tis not a matter of 'so hard' but more a matter of why should users
have to do this at all. I am very happy with top posting as I don't
have to any scrolling at all. Everything new and pertinent that I
need to know is right there at the top. If I was in on something from
the beginning, why should I have to be punished and scroll for the
benefit of others who may not have been included or may not have paid
attention to something being discussed from the beginning. If they
are late to the party, it should be their responsibility to do the
scrolling to catch up. Why should everyone have to scroll just in
case someone might join late?

--

Robert Ameeti

Where ever you go, there you are.