[X-Newbies] <Adios!t>

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Sat May 21 10:21:59 PDT 2005

At 1:02 PM -0400 5/21/05, Jane wrote:
>Perhaps what is needed to end this thread is a definitive rule for
>posting top or bottom on this particular list, since it would seem
>that it is a preference and not a preordained rule. Not sure whether
>the preference is chosen by the list owner or by vote of the listees

It would seem that the list charter deliberately does not impose such a rule.

"8. What is Netiquette.?
There are informal rules of the Internet which are termed
"Netiquette." to help people use proper etiquette within this form of
communication. Some examples of poor Netiquette. are not to signing
messages, unsubscribing by sending mail to the posting address
instead of the administrative address, or TYPING IN ALL CAPS, (which
is considered yelling). This is a dynamic environment and Netiquette.
is changing rapidly.
Some informal rules for this list
	*	Remember that replies automatically go to the entire
list. To respond to an individual, see the directions for your email
software.
	*	Never send attachments to the list. An attachment may
contain a virus, may be in a format others cannot use, may not make
it through some mail gateways, and will bog down both the list server
and the mail server. (Large enough attachments will choke the list
server.)
	*	Don't send styled text or HTML files, just plain
text. (My rule of thumb: if it's not in the body of the text, I won't
read it.)
	*	Please quote only the relevant portion of messages
you respond to -- and please quote some of the original message so
others know what you're responding to.
	*	Please keep "me too" and "agreed" messages off the
list; these are best sent privately.
	*	When asking a question, please list relevant
information on the hardware, software, and version of the Mac OS
involved.
	*	When responding to a digest post, please change the
subject to match that of the original message.
	*	Please keep signature lines concise, preferably 6 lines or less
	*	Although subscribers may offer specific equipment and
services to the list or share an exceptional bargain they have
discovered, explicitly commercial postings are prohibited. Any
address or domain posting such will be blocked.
	*	Treat your list neighbor as you wish to be treated.
Address breaches of Netiquette. privately, not on the list. Assume
the best, not the worst."
<http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/X-Newbies.html>
--
'tis as said. [Reality is defined by being described]