[X-Newbies] Wait! I have a new question!

VS vs1 at dax.nu
Sat May 21 16:04:21 PDT 2005

At 14.52 -0700 05-05-21, Carter Tomassi wrote:
>I burned 6 DVDs to get one client's project off the hard drives.
>Every couple of months the client calls to request new movies. I
>need a searchable index on my main drive.
>
>Without using third-party solutions, how can I save an index of each
>disk on my main HD? For the time being I have screenshots of each
>disk's finder window. But that isn't searchable, of course.

I could recommend another program (for instance DiskTracker, search
versiontracker for more info) but if you only want to use Finders own
features you could try something as simple as to select everything
you want to index, and then copy and paste the text into the
Texteditor. If you do it the right way you will only get the names of
the files (I tried this at a Tiger demo and we several times copied
the folder look (and not the name), so I am not sure how it should be
done in Tiger.) One bad thing with this method: you don't get the
rest on the finder info, no size for instance, just the names. Also:
in my language I have to use the column view when copying the names,
otherwise the names aren't sorted alphabetically in the texteditor.

I hope this was helpfull to you! Otherwise I hope someone else have
better ideas.

/ Vicki
( I skipped __all__those messages about "top posing".... :-)