[X-Newbies] Re: Wait! I have a new question!

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Mon May 23 08:11:27 PDT 2005

On May 21, 2005, at 10:51 PM, Charles Martin wrote:

> Sorry I didn't fully understand your question. If I'd thought about it
> a bit longer, it would have dawned on me that what you wanted was a
> disk CATALOGING app, and there's not one built into OS X.

Or is there?

I haven't tried it out yet, but theoretically Spotlight can be used to
index removable disks and save the index to a local (boot only?) drive.
 From there, Spotlight could be used to search removable media not
currently in the machine.

I'm not sure how well it will work from a practical standpoint though.
I remember having boxes of floppies titled "Untitled" and I'm ending up
with quite a few CD's and DVD's that suffer a similar problem. Its not
going to help if Spotlight tells me its on a DVD titled "Backup".

But maybe I'm the only one who had trouble remembering that taking the
time to name disks properly can save a lot of trouble down the line.

-Mike