[X-Newbies] Newbie Lessons

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Mon May 23 13:50:14 PDT 2005

At 10:50 AM -0500 5/23/05, Steven Rogers wrote:
>That's what etiquette is all about - it gives you some basic
>expectations for a common ground. Its how you become aware that the
>little things you might be doing that seem of no consequence to you
>might be really inconvenient for someone else.

An excellent and well-stated point. I'll expand this with a personal
example: I'm no longer a newbie (with respect to email, at least). I
receive anywhere from 400-900 messages per day. I track more than 100
mailing lists, attend to several business interests and deal with
personal mail related to family and personal hobbies. My mail is
aggressively filtered, flagged, sliced & diced so that I can easily
choose what is appropriate for me to deal with at any given point in
my day. There ensues an email version of triage: Is it important?
Interesting? Simple? Personal? A well-known issue? A current issue?
Otherwise intriguing? And so on.

But some email makes this much harder. Mail with no subject or a
vague or inappropriate subject gets short shrift because I simply
cannot take the time to figure out what it's about. Mail that rambles
and doesn't ask a direct question yet imparts no useful information
as to what the writer seeks - that get's ignored. The post that
regurgitates all of a digest with a reply or query hidden in among
oodles of quoted material - I won't *find* the info or question. And
so on.

It's not necessarily or deliberately rude or punitive, but I simply
won't be bothered to do extra work to dig the stuff out.

On the other hand, newbies always are overly concerned about seeming
to ask a stupid question. There's far, far less likelihood of getting
hassled over a question thought stupid than there is of being
overlooked/ignored because of bad netiquette.
--
'tis as said. [Reality is defined by being described]