[X-Newbies] Re: Help! Total HD Meltdown

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Mon May 23 19:39:51 PDT 2005

> From: deetya at cbn.net.id
> I returned home from vacation to find that a partition on my HD has
> disappeared. The diagnosis is "Invalid Key Length"
>
> I partitioned my HD into two, a system partition and a data
> partition. I
> just booted up my eMac 700mhz, and the data partition is gone.
>

> 1) Can my partition be fixed? Or is it lost forever?

Depends. Is it worth buying a copy of Diskwarrior to fix it? Because
that will do the trick.

> 2) If the partition is lost, is there any way to at least save the
> data?

The one IS the other. No partition = no readable data.

> 3) What could've caused this? A crash due to a power outage? Somebody
> (like my sister) messing around?

Judging from the fact that you apparently can't be bothered to back
up your stuff, have no utilities and (thus) haven't done any system
maintenance, the fault here lies with you. Rather than attempting to
blame others, you really should consider reforming your poor
computing habits.

> My computer is an eMac 700Mhz (1st gen eMac) with system 10.1.5.

You know, there's a REASON Apple has updated the system many, many
times since 10.1.5. You really, REALLY need to understand the notion
that regular updating and maintenance of your computer is PART of
owning a computer. I pity your car if you treat it in a similar manner.

http://www.alsoft.com

_Chas_

"[Commercial] radio is absolutely the enemy of music. They  are my
sworn and mortal enemy, and I will have nothing to do with them." --
Elvis Costello, March 2003