[X-Newbies] Re: Wait! I have a new question!

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Mon May 23 20:14:21 PDT 2005

> From: Michael Winter <winter at mac.com>
> I haven't tried it out yet, but theoretically Spotlight can be used to
> index removable disks and save the index to a local (boot only?)
> drive.

Uh, no.

I'm not sure why Michael wants to talk theoreticals when it would be
the work of a few seconds to find this out for himself, but Spotlight
can certainly be used to create a list of what's on a given disk --
but that disk MUST BE CONNECTED each time you re-open the search, so
that it may update. If the disk is not present, then the search will
be updated to <null>.

The purpose of programs like Disktracker is to create a directory of
disks that can be searched/managed et al WITHOUT the original disk
being present.

>  From there, Spotlight could be used to search removable media not
> currently in the machine.

Nope.

> But maybe I'm the only one who had trouble remembering that taking the
> time to name disks properly can save a lot of trouble down the line.

I personally am quite picky about remembering to give disks unique
names, but even I have had more than my share of "untitled"s over the
years. :)

_Chas_

Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most
people use Windows is like saying that all other restaurants are
inferior to McDonald's.