[X-Newbies] Help! Total HD Meltdown

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Tue May 24 16:37:40 PDT 2005

On May 23, 2005, at 08:45, Vincent Cayenne wrote:

> At 7:50 AM -0400 5/23/05, Alex wrote:
>> (iii) current versions require a more recent version of the OS than
>> you have -- for instance, DiskWarrior, requires at least Mac OS X
>> v10.2.1.
>
> The current DW, as purchased, should start up her machine from the CD
> provided and allow her to attempt repair - her early OS version should
> not matter for such an operation.

Quite so.

> And it would not be recommended that she try to *install* the DW
> application on the problem partition before using it, which would be
> when the OS incompatibility would arise.

The original poster said

>> I partitioned my HD into two, a system partition and a data
>> partition. I just booted up my eMac 700mhz, and the data
>> partition is gone.

so the question doesn't arise -- let alone that it would be rather
difficult to install DW on a partition that won't mount...

Of course, once a directory error has been detected, nothing should be
installed on, copied to, deleted from the defective volume until the
issue has been resolved.

<0x0192>