[X-Newbies] Re: Help! Total HD Meltdown

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Fri May 27 08:24:10 PDT 2005

On May 26, 2005, at 9:00 PM, Charles Martin wrote:

> There is NO EXCUSE for people who, after 20+ years of being warned to
> make backups, fail to have a backup.

And if you've been at it for 20+ years, you also learn to test your
backups. I still remember backing up a "monster" 20 MB hard drive to
800k floppies and thinking I was safe. Then the day came that my hard
drive failed and I thought, "No problem. I have a backup." Put in the
first of ~30 floppies to start the restore, and got a message about an
"Invalid" something or other.

Lesson learned! Especially if its the first time you're using a new
backup protocol, make sure the recovery part works too. Before you have
trouble.

-Mike