[X-Newbies] Re: Changing Macs

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sat May 28 22:45:03 PDT 2005

> From: Bob Geiger <rbgeiger at optonline.net>
>
> Here is a problem that probably has a simple elegant solution that I
> can't seem to come up with. My brother just bought a G4(running
> Tiger) and needs to put his applications on his old iMac(running
> Panther) on the G4. He started to do this and is finding that the
> applications is asking for registration data which he already entered
> on his old iMac. He's scrambling now to find his original application
> discs and packaging. I told him there is probably a better way to
> transfer the application, preferences, etc. to the new machine. Of
> course, I'm not 100% sure how to do it. Any advice?

A couple of options:

Here's Easy Method A (if this works):
1. Hook the two machines together using a Firewire cable.
2. Reboot the older one holding down the T key till you see a large
Firewire symbol
3. The drive of the older machine will appear on the desktop of the
new machine.
4. Locate "Migration Assistant" in the Utilities folder of the new
machine and run it.
5. Specify what you'd like brought over.

Here's Slightly Less Easy Method B:
1. Repeat steps 1-3 of the instructions above.
2. Download and fire up "Carbon Copy Cloner" from macupdate.com or
versiontracker.com.
3. Specify that you'd like ONLY the Applications and User folder of
the old drive "cloned" into the new drive.

Hope that helps, and remember: make backups before you do *anything.*

_Chas_

"To use the Mac is to be confronted, over and over, with the idea
that the most mundane task can be done artfully and compassionately,
beautifully and invitingly. " -- Glenn McDonald