[X-Newbies] Modem problems

Peter Saint James peterstj at earthlink.net
Mon May 30 05:50:05 PDT 2005

On 29 May2005, at 9:01 AM, Gen Hadlow Mac Impact Dbn wrote:

> I'm setting up a G5 iMac 20" on 10.3.9 and having problems with the
> modem.
> It detects dial tone - but that tone wont go away so that the modem
> should
> start to dial. It tries to, on top of the dial tone so to speak.
> That is the dial tone should stop and start to dial the phone
> number for the
> ISP. But its not doing that. Just keeps going with the dial tone
> and other
> weird noises.

     It may not be the computer.  Sometimes phones do the same
thing.  When phones do it, it's usually a bad wire somewhere in the
system or a bad plug.

     How does a phone work on that same jack?   Could also be the
cable between computer and jack or the plugs on that cable.

     Unplug everything from the jack and try a phone on that jack.

                                                         Peter