[X-Newbies] Virtual Desktops and multiple clips.

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Wed Nov 2 08:37:37 PST 2005

On Nov 2, 2005, at 7:38 AM, Brian Durant wrote:

> For some reason OS X doesn't provide virtual desktops and multiple
> clipboards like Linux. Is this a BSD thing or an OS X thing? What
> have the lists knowledgeable readers done about this issue? There
> seem to be shareware alternatives for the missing operability's but
> are any worth recommending?

Generally, I would say the best approach is to not have multiple
desktops. I've used that kind of feature under Solaris, HPs CDE, and
other systems, and unless you're a developer who regularly needs to
live in multiple environments with lots of different applications and
windows, it is not a helpful way to look at organization.

If you have two different environments that you want to keep track of
in a very separate way, then make two accounts and fast user switch
between them - say home and work, or something like that. In that
way, they can be backed up and reloaded separately, for mail, web
prefs, and all the other things that go with a user space. If the two
environments aren't *that* separate, then use the dock and other
finder facilities to manage your apps and windows.

SR