[X-Newbies] Can Mac Mini use external USB modem?

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Fri Nov 4 13:23:43 PST 2005

On Nov 4, 2005, at 4:01 AM, Aldo Johnson wrote:

> I bought a Mac Mini, but forgot to order the optional internal
> modem. Can I use an external USB modem, originally for Windows, on
> the Mac Mini? The USB modem comes only with a Windows driver CD.

Since you haven't told us which modem you have this is difficult to
answer. Hook it up and give it a try, the worst that can happen is
that it won't work.

If it's recognized as a modem it should show up in the Network
Preferences panel. If you don't see it when first opening the panel
select "Network Ports Configuration" from the "Show" menu. If it's
present in the "Port Configurations" list then make sure it's active,
i.e. its "On" check box is checked. (Don't forget to click on the
"Apply" button as needed.)  Then select the modem from the "Show"
menu and click on the "Modem" tab. Scroll through the "Modem" list
and see if your model is listed.

Phil
--
We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home. -- Edward R.
Murrow