[X-Newbies] Re: Kernel crash help.

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Fri Nov 11 15:33:38 PST 2005

> From: Brian Durant <globetrotterdk at gmail.com>
>
> Can anyone help me with this? I was running the following apps at
> the time:
>
> Safari, Bits on Wheels, Mail and Poison

You were running BoW *and* Poison? Whassa matter, one P2P program not
stealing programs/music fast enough for ya?

Congrats, you've discovered the major problem with P2P programs
(apart from the obvious legal exposure and ethical dilemmas, that is)
-- most of them are unstable and cause problems.

Your crash log mentions the graphics system, but I wouldn't know what
exactly caused the failure. At a wild guess, I'd say you left the
programs running too long and they overheated your machine (since
they don't allow the Mac to sleep).

Now the system appears to be hosed. Boot from your backup (you DO
have one, of course) and run Disk Utility, Disk Warrior or Tech Tool
Pro (which of course you have). That may repair what's been damaged.
If you don't have a backup, smack yourself repeatedly. Then boot the
machine in single-user mode (option-s on startup) and run the
following command:

/sbin/fsck -fy

(note the space between the "fsck" and the "-fy")

If the report comes back that the file system was modified, run it
again and again until you get a message like "The Disk Appears to be
OK." Then type "reboot" and press return. If that doesn't get you to
the desktop, try restarting the machine again, this time holding down
the SHIFT key -- that may allow it to boot into "safe mode." If that
works, use your System Preferences to turn off ANYTHING not made by
Apple that engages at startup, then reboot.

Once you've got the machine stable again, try this: ditch the P2P and
**buy** the software and music/video you want. I've noticed that Macs
NOT running P2P programs are FAR more stable than those that are.
Just a thought.

PS. Yes, I'm sure you're the **one** P2P user who was only
downloading *completely* legal files, and that you would never
*dream* of doing anything illegal. Sorry if I offended you with my
assumptions about your P2P use, but I work in a Mac repair shop. I
know what people do with P2P, so please spare me the BS "angry"
reply. You want help, you have to take it the way it's given --
particularly when you're not paying for it (a point too many people
forget).

As a rule of thumb, P2P programs are not worth the risk and
aggravation. The Java-based ones are the worst (thus perhaps it's not
entirely their fault), but all the Mac P2P programs I've run across
have "issues" just like their PC cousins. They are often at the heart
of problems with our customers' machines. Believe me I understand the
mentality that drives P2P, but on the whole (meaning there could be
exceptions), it's just easier and better to go legit nowadays,
particularly if you're a Mac user.

Cheers
Chas