[X-Newbies] Re: Kernel crash help.

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Sun Nov 13 06:52:50 PST 2005

On Nov 12, 2005, at 7:07 PM, Charles Martin wrote:

>> From: Philip J Robar <pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org>
>>
>> A properly designed computer should be able to run flat out day in
>> and day out
>> without problems and I dare say that in general Macs are some of the
>> better designed computers that you can buy.
>
> In theory, you are right. But I live in the real world, where
> people block the vents, have shedding housepets, and never EVER dust.
>
> I work in a Mac repair shop. Trust me on this -- a can of
> compressed air and periodic spring cleaning is one of a handful of
> simple, cheap, useful things will add months if not years to your
> Mac. :)

Agreed. I've ordered an acquaintance of mine whose PC I keep running
to put "dust the computer" every 3 months into her Palm calendar with
an alarm. I'm not sure how she gets so much dust into it, but the
last time I opened it the heat sink was literally clogged with dust.

>> It's far more likely that Brian just happened to tickle a bug in
>> the graphics driver and/or kernel.
>
> I *did* bracket my comment as a "wild guess," but if we assume that
> YOU are correct (and there's every chance that you are), how does
> this change my overall advice of "well then don't do that?"
>
> If you'll recall, he said he was running Mail, Safari and two P2P
> programs at the time, right? Okay, now while I can't claim to know
> what kind of bug reports Apple gets from Mail and Safari, I'm quite
> confident that they don't generally cause kernel panics. So that
> leaves the P2P programs and their associated processes as the
> primary suspects. I advised him to stop using those (inferring that
> doing so would clear up the issue).

Without getting into a detailed discussion of device I/O and how an
OS should handle memory exhaustion, whether it's Mail, Safari, or a
P2P program a user land program can't cause a kernel panic. It takes
bad hardware or buggy privileged code to do this. I took a closer
look at the stack trace and Brian ran into a bug in the NVidia
graphics driver and the fact that a couple of P2P programs where
running at the time is just a coincidence.

Phil