[X-Newbies] Re: Corrupt mail application?

carwesg at aol.com carwesg at aol.com
Sun Nov 13 18:00:39 PST 2005

Hi Chas,
Thanks, but the situation is getting WORSE by the minute. I am wrting
from my son's computer, since mine is freezing every 5-20 minutes.

1. I rebuilt the mail boxes and that  did not help the problem.
2. Then before running Disk Utility i thought I was going to back up
some files, so I  started to use my external Jaz drive (with a
SCSI/USB2 connection).  it seemed not to work, could not copy on the
disks. (when it was working fine last week).
3. So then I proceeded to do the automatic Update software hoping that
was going to do the trick.
4. To finish, I was asked to to do the Firmware 5.1.8f7 (press the
button to start until i hear a loud noise).  Which I did and I was told
to restart.
5. my son got on the internet on my computer and was playing a game
online (from newgrounds.com), the computer froze...

Since then, it restarted but kept freezing over and over, i actually
have to shut it down  maunually with the button, I can't even do
restart from the menu or do a "force Quit".

6. So I repaired Pernission from "Disk Utility", that did not do
anything (freezing kept on going), so i thought I was going to do it
 from the install CD, so I restarted holding the "C" but I could not
find the "Disk Utility" on the CD, I was only given the option to
reinstall OSX , i agreed and it froze again at half way.

NOW, The message I get when it freezes is VERY SCARY: a Black box with
white text in 4 languages telling me: "you have to restart your
computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press
restart button."

Well, Doctor, What do you think?  I haven't backed up in a week.  An my
computer freezes what even i do 9that I am on the internet or not).

Thank you I am TOTALLY FREAKED OUT!!!
Carole