[X-Newbies] empty folders

Lawrence Klinger zzippy at cox.net
Tue Nov 22 12:34:58 PST 2005

> Hello Listers,
>
> I recently upgraded to 10.3.9 and found that it runs about a half-step
> slower than Puma. Looking for some blot, I ran Spring Cleaning and
> found over 4oo empty folders, mostly in my Users.  Where in the whorld
> did these come from?  How were they created? As they are empty, I
> presume that it's safe to delete them.
> Observations?
>
> iMac DV+  450
> 768 MB
> OS X 10.3.9
>
> cy

=================================
I would go very cautiously with the Spring Cleaning deletion of folders.
When I bought SC a few years back, I ran the file duplication feature and
it came up with scads of files for possible deletion.  When I inquired about
this with fellow Mac users I was cautioned that some innocuous looking
empty file folders may in fact be tied in, in some way, with  various
software programs in your system.  Deleting the folders could inadvertently
cause you all kinds of problems.

What I did was to ignore that feature, since I'm not savvy enough to figure
out what folder can be deleted or is tied to a software operation. Let
sleeping dogs lie.

My approach has been to use Cocktail or Disk Warrior to keep my Mac
in smooth running condition.  So far, it's worked pretty well.  But you
should do what you think is best.

Zippy