[X-Newbies] ICQ with iChat?

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Mon Oct 10 09:04:07 PDT 2005

On Oct 10, 2005, at 10:51 AM, Brian Durant wrote:

> Anyone know if you can use iChat for ICQ or do you have to have
> another client? I looked in the prefs, but couldn't find anything. If
> another client is necessary, what do people recommend?

No, iChat doesn't do ICQ.

I use Fire, but a lot of people like Gaim and Adium.  Here's a link
to some reviews:

http://www.download.com/Chat/3150-2146_4-0.html

Generally, the multi-protocol chat programs don't do everything (like
sound and video) so you either have to run a bunch of individual chat
programs (a pain in the rear) to be available for buddies on various
protocols, or you can run a single multi-protocol chat program, and
then start a program like iiChat or Yahoo chat, etc. if you want to
do a video chat with a specific person with a specific client (also a
pain in the rear). If you never do anything but text chat, the multi-
protocol programs are a great solution.

SR